Can a green juice a day keep…away?
Is it another craze or another Clean Cut tool?
After research and having some of our members test it out it seems when adding in the right kind of green juice daily you are increasing your daily potassium up to 36% and your vitamin A up to 20% which aids in weight loss, increases energy, creates better blood flow, helps the body use insulin correctly, helps boost the immune system and supports eye and brain function.
So what is the right kind of green juice?
Photo Credit: Lara Robby Photography
NATURAL, NO ADDED SUGAR or SODIUM
You may see the cold pressed version in any health store or even at Trader Joe’s. When you see the settlement at the bottom of the bottle you have the real stuff. Always read the ingredients. It should look something like, Cucumber, Kale, Celery, green apple (it’s Ok!), lemon and maybe ginger and other spices like turmeric.
When making it yourself or at the counter of a health store you have full control over what goes in it. The greener the better, maybe ½ the green apple (just to save some of the sugar grams for later) you can also add in ¼ of an avocado to thicken it up and add some of the GOOD FAT (making this juice even more powerful)
It’s almost impossible to eat the amount of daily greens needed each day. This power packed juice helps get you there, flooding you body with amazing vitamins and mineral.
This green juice below is a great starter juice. Get creative and add this Clean Cut Tool to your daily regime. You can use an emulsion blender like a Vitamix or Ninja to emulsify the ingredients. Then add water to your desired consistency.
- A HUGE handful of kale or spinach
- Romaine (when cleared by the government for sure)
- 3-4 celery sticks
- Juice of one lemon
- Thumb full of fresh ginger
- ¼ of an avocado
- Parsley (optional)
- ½ green apple (optional)
Use it to start you day or as a filler throughout, However you get it in, IT WORKS!
A Matcha a day will actually Keep the doctor away…for real.
Green tea…..We’ve heard it has so many benefits. It does, But how many cups a day do we need to get all the amazing benefits from it? 5-7 Cups! Can you drink that much tea every day? With this new craze, which is old in history, we can get all the benefits it one cup, YUP MATCHA.
Matcha starts out just like any old green tea leaf. But 20-30 days prior to harvesting, it is covered from direct sunlight. This causes the chlorophyll to increase, intensifying the leaf. It is then ground down to a powder and used in our teas, coffee, ice cream, etc. This leaf is so concentrated with chlorophyll, polyphenols and catechin that just one drink made with this superfood give us all the benefits of 5-7 cups of green tea. SCORE!
And what are those benefits?
- It decreases free radicals. The less free radicals we have in our bodies the less cancer and disease we have.
- The catechin promotes relaxation and clarity.
- It is a natural antioxidant and boost the immune system.
- Helps maintain healthy alkaline levels which leads to a healthy metabolism.
- It is high in good caffeine called theophylline. Which will sustain energy levels with a slow, consistent release.
- Catechin also increase the metabolism leading to more weight loss.
It’s easy to get and easy to drink. The new apple a day is now a matcha a day! Drink Up!
Insulin: A hormone made by the pancreas that allows your body to use sugar (glucose) from carbohydrates in the food that you eat for energy or to store glucose for future use. Insulin helps keeps your blood sugar level from getting too high or too low.
Where to begin? These top 10 foods are in no particular order. They all have such a low glycemic level that your body doesn’t need much insulin to absorb them. Clean Cut’s goal is to keep your insulin level down so your metabolism is constantly working.
The foods you choose should have a slow absorption rate. The ones the breakdown quickly like breads and white potatoes cause a massive spike in insulin sending the message to our bodies to store it as fat. When we eat high amounts of fast carb foods (the whites, and cakes etc.) we send the wrong message to our body over and over again, leading to weight gain and a broken metabolism
Our goal is to keep our levels low and steady. Living a lifestyle like this will lead to overall better health and weight loss.
Natural fruits, veggies, proteins and fats all break down slower and in turn our insulin levels are lower.
Here are the top 10 foods that are extremely low on the glycemic index:
- Onion & Garlic (full of vitamins and anti-inflammatory benefits)
- Leafy Greens (our super foods)
- Nuts (anti-inflammatory, good fats, low carb, high fiber)
- Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower and chia, great to use instead of granolas, t ad
d to salads and have all the fiber and good fats and nutrients we want)
- Avocados (omega 3 & 6 fatty acids and amazing nutrients)
- Coconut (any form, oil, meat, flakes, flour, it’s the perfect fat)
- Herbs (full of flavor, minerals and vitamins and have some healing properties)
- Eggs (vitamin B12, protein and Fat, cheap and easy)
- Irish Butter and Cheese (keep cheese to a moderation, dairy causes the body to become acidic and inflamed, make sure it has no growth hormones in it)
- Oils (organic is best, olive, coconut, avocado etc. Stay away from palm oil, canola etc.)
With all this information, any of these when cooking or snacking are your best option to add and guarantee a low insulin level.
Purely summer refreshing! This super quick and easy summer go to cold soup can be made in 10 minutes and tastes delicious ocean or pool side! Pair with a Clean Cut summer cocktail and enjoy!
Clean Cut Chilled Avocado Cucumber Soup
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled & seeded & cut in pieces + 1 cucumber diced to stir in at finish
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, quartered
- 1 scallion, cut in pieces or chopped onion
- 1 garlic cloves
- 2 T. fresh parsley
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- ½ c. plain greek yogurt
- 1 c. cold water-may add more to desired consistency
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mint leaves
Puree all ingredients except 1 diced cucumber in blender till smooth. May add additional water at end to thin slightly. Stir in diced cucumber stirring after transferring to bowl. Add some mint leaves for taste and garnish.
Adjust any seasonings to taste.
Looking for more clean salads and drinks this summer?!
Download our FREE Summer Salad and Clean Drinks Guide Here!
ABOUT THE AUTHORS:
Lori and Caren created Clean Cut Fitness & Nutrition to help women see there is a true balance when eating clean and living life. They like wine, tequila, vodka and intermittent fasting! Their 5 kids combined are always creating havoc but they would not have it any other way. Balance is their key to success! Their “shrink your body, grow your mind” mentality will help anyone find their Ah-Ha moment and what works in their lifestyle. Join the #cleancuttribe and create your new lifestyle.
Visit their full bios to learn more.