Insulin: A hormone made by the pancreas that allows your body to use sugar (glucose) from carbohydrates in the food that you eat for energy or to store glucose for future use. Insulin helps keeps your blood sugar level from getting too high or too low.
Where to begin? These top 10 foods are in no particular order. They all have such a low glycemic level that your body doesn’t need much insulin to absorb them. Clean Cut’s goal is to keep your insulin level down so your metabolism is constantly working.
The foods you choose should have a slow absorption rate. The ones the breakdown quickly like breads and white potatoes cause a massive spike in insulin sending the message to our bodies to store it as fat. When we eat high amounts of fast carb foods (the whites, and cakes etc.) we send the wrong message to our body over and over again, leading to weight gain and a broken metabolism
Our goal is to keep our levels low and steady. Living a lifestyle like this will lead to overall better health and weight loss.
Natural fruits, veggies, proteins and fats all break down slower and in turn our insulin levels are lower.
Here are the top 10 foods that are extremely low on the glycemic index:
- Onion & Garlic (full of vitamins and anti-inflammatory benefits)
- Leafy Greens (our super foods)
- Nuts (anti-inflammatory, good fats, low carb, high fiber)
- Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower and chia, great to use instead of granolas, t ad
d to salads and have all the fiber and good fats and nutrients we want)
- Avocados (omega 3 & 6 fatty acids and amazing nutrients)
- Coconut (any form, oil, meat, flakes, flour, it’s the perfect fat)
- Herbs (full of flavor, minerals and vitamins and have some healing properties)
- Eggs (vitamin B12, protein and Fat, cheap and easy)
- Irish Butter and Cheese (keep cheese to a moderation, dairy causes the body to become acidic and inflamed, make sure it has no growth hormones in it)
- Oils (organic is best, olive, coconut, avocado etc. Stay away from palm oil, canola etc.)
With all this information, any of these when cooking or snacking are your best option to add and guarantee a low insulin level.
Purely summer refreshing! This super quick and easy summer go to cold soup can be made in 10 minutes and tastes delicious ocean or pool side! Pair with a Clean Cut summer cocktail and enjoy!
Clean Cut Chilled Avocado Cucumber Soup
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled & seeded & cut in pieces + 1 cucumber diced to stir in at finish
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled, seeded, quartered
- 1 scallion, cut in pieces or chopped onion
- 1 garlic cloves
- 2 T. fresh parsley
- 2 T. fresh lemon juice
- ½ c. plain greek yogurt
- 1 c. cold water-may add more to desired consistency
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Mint leaves
Puree all ingredients except 1 diced cucumber in blender till smooth. May add additional water at end to thin slightly. Stir in diced cucumber stirring after transferring to bowl. Add some mint leaves for taste and garnish.
Adjust any seasonings to taste.
Looking for more clean salads and drinks this summer?!
Download our FREE Summer Salad and Clean Drinks Guide Here!
ABOUT THE AUTHORS:
Lori and Caren created Clean Cut Fitness & Nutrition to help women see there is a true balance when eating clean and living life. They like wine, tequila, vodka and intermittent fasting! Their 5 kids combined are always creating havoc but they would not have it any other way. Balance is their key to success! Their “shrink your body, grow your mind” mentality will help anyone find their Ah-Ha moment and what works in their lifestyle. Join the #cleancuttribe and create your new lifestyle.
Visit their full bios to learn more.
Since we have been on a little pumpkin kick this fall, I thought we should share this yummy treat for you all! Our last post gave you a few tips on why pumpkin is healthy. But…
Whats the big deal about Chia Seeds?!
- Chia Seeds are loaded with antioxidants
- Almost all of the carbs in them are fiber
- Chia Seeds are high quality protein
- Chia Seeds deliver a massive amount of nutrients, with very few calories
- Due to the high fiber and protein count, Chia Seeds should be able to help you lose weight
We get into detail about all of these facts in our 6 week weight loss challenge. If you are interested in learning more, click here.
Pumpkin Chia Pudding Ingredients
1 1⁄4 cup coconut or almond milk
1 cup pumpkin puree
1⁄2 cup chia seeds
1⁄4 cup or less maple syrup
2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
1⁄4 cup sliced almonds
Mix milk, puree, chia seeds, maple syrup and spice. Cover and shake thoroughly.
Refrigerate for 3-4 hours. Mix in almonds and enjoy!
Makes 4 servings
It’s fall, The air is crisp (in some parts of the country!) and its chili season! What a great way to kick off fall but with a Pumpkin Chili thats clean and tastes amazing! Pumpkin also has some great health benefits.
Benefits of Pumpkin:
- Did you know pumpkin will make you feel fuller, longer? It is packed with 1.7g of fiber per ounce. With 50 calories and 3g of fiber per cup, thats a win win in the Clean Cut department!
- Better Vision, Skin & Bones: 1 cup of pumpkin has double your daily dose of vitamin A, essential for our vision, skin and bones.
- They are high in phytoestrogens, which is shown to lower blood pressure.
- Pumpkin seeds are high in tryptophan, so you will sleep better
- Pumpkin seed oil has been shown to block unhealthy prostate growth in rats, so men, get your pumpkin seed oil in!
Clean Cut Pumpkin Chili
1 TBSP Olive Oil
1 C chopped onion
1C chopped green pepper
2-3 cups fresh spinach (remember it cooks down)
1-2 TBSP fresh chopped garlic to taste
1 small can chopped green chilis
1 Can low sodium diced tomatoes
1 Can beans of your choice (I used black beans)
1 Can organic pumpkin
1 lb ground turkey breast
Pumpkin Pie Spice Optional
Cayenne Pepper Optional
Saute onion and pepper in a pan
Add in spinach and garlic and let spinach wilt down
During this brown your ground turkey breast
Add tomatoes, beans, chilis and pumpkin
Add spices to taste. This is where it is all relative to your taste. We prefer a stronger pumpkin flavor, so we added pumpkin pie spice. Add to your taste. Same with all the spices. Remember Cumin is a strong taste so start with a teaspoon and go from there. Cayenne is also spicy so add to taste.
Simmer and add ground turkey. Simmer for another 10 minutes or so and enjoy!!!!