Spice is everything. When you cut out the bad “flavorful” stuff, we get creative on spicing it up! You will feel so much better and clean!
Here are 2 Spice Blends you can make on your own and have to throw in the dishes of your choice!
Basic Spice Blend: this is a great option when cutting out salt and looking for flavor
- 2 TBSP Nutritional Yeast
- 1 TBSP Onion Powder
- 1 TBSP Dried Parsley
- 1 TBSP Dried Basil
- 1 TSP Dried Thyme
- 2 TSP Garlic Powder
- 2 TSP Mustard Powder
- 2 TSP Paprika
Mix and keep in an air tight jar and use in any dishes you want
Home Made “OLD BAY” Seasoning
- 5 teaspoons Ground Celery Seed
- 5 teaspoons Ground Mustard Seed
- 5 Tablespoons Ground Bay Leaves
- 4 teaspoons Parsley Flakes, dried
- 1 Tablespoon Sea Salt
- 5 teaspoons Paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon Allspice
- 3/4 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 3/8 teaspoons Cardamom Powder
- 3/8 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon White Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
Mix and keep in an air tight jar. Great for seafood!
Lettuce cups are super fun to make and you can get so creative. This recipe is modified from Clean Eating Magazine with our little twist. Feel free to make it your own.
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 8 oz organic ground turkey
- 1-2 cup chopped cremini mushrooms (or your choice!)
- 5 tsp reduced-sodium tamari ( a milder type soy sauce that is gluten free!)
- 8 butter lettuce or chard leaves
- 2 tbsp sesame seed
- ¼ cup sliced green onions
- In a medium skillet on medium, heat oil. Add onion and sauté for 4 minutes, until translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add turkey and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until browned.
- Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, for an additional 5 minutes. Stir in tamari and remove from heat.
- To assemble, stack 2 lettuce leaves on top of each other and place one-quarter of mixture over top. Top with sesame seeds and hot sauce (optional). Sprinkle with green onions. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Happy Soon to Be St.. Patty’s Day! Who needs a shamrock shake when you can have a green coconut smoothie!
YUMMY coconut meat smoothie!
Handful of Trader Joes frozen just coconut chunks
1 cup kale
1 cup pineapple or mango
1/2 inch of ginger
1-2 cups water or coconut water (as much as you need to get desired consistency)
Blend up to your desired consistency. This is meal replacement smoothie.
- 2 Fennel Bulbs, cut into wedges
- 2 (or more) cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tsp. thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional, the last 5 minutes of roasting add cherry tomatoes and halves of kalamata olives. YUM!
Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
Mix fennel with oil, garlic, lemon thyme and salt and pepper.
Roast in oven until golden, about 20 minutes.
If adding the tomatoes and/or olives add last 5 minutes of roasting.