Insulin: A hormone made by the pancreas that allows your body to use sugar (glucose) from carbohydrates in the food that you eat for energy or to store glucose for future use. Insulin helps keeps your blood sugar level from getting too high or too low.
Where to begin? These top 10 foods are in no particular order. They all have such a low glycemic level that your body doesn’t need much insulin to absorb them. Clean Cut’s goal is to keep your insulin level down so your metabolism is constantly working.
The foods you choose should have a slow absorption rate. The ones the breakdown quickly like breads and white potatoes cause a massive spike in insulin sending the message to our bodies to store it as fat. When we eat high amounts of fast carb foods (the whites, and cakes etc.) we send the wrong message to our body over and over again, leading to weight gain and a broken metabolism
Our goal is to keep our levels low and steady. Living a lifestyle like this will lead to overall better health and weight loss.
Natural fruits, veggies, proteins and fats all break down slower and in turn our insulin levels are lower.
Here are the top 10 foods that are extremely low on the glycemic index:
- Onion & Garlic (full of vitamins and anti-inflammatory benefits)
- Leafy Greens (our super foods)
- Nuts (anti-inflammatory, good fats, low carb, high fiber)
- Seeds (pumpkin, sunflower and chia, great to use instead of granolas, t ad
d to salads and have all the fiber and good fats and nutrients we want)
- Avocados (omega 3 & 6 fatty acids and amazing nutrients)
- Coconut (any form, oil, meat, flakes, flour, it’s the perfect fat)
- Herbs (full of flavor, minerals and vitamins and have some healing properties)
- Eggs (vitamin B12, protein and Fat, cheap and easy)
- Irish Butter and Cheese (keep cheese to a moderation, dairy causes the body to become acidic and inflamed, make sure it has no growth hormones in it)
- Oils (organic is best, olive, coconut, avocado etc. Stay away from palm oil, canola etc.)
With all this information, any of these when cooking or snacking are your best option to add and guarantee a low insulin level.