Ketosis is A metabolic state characterized by raised levels of ketone bodies in the body tissues. On a ketogenic diet, you are drastically reducing your carbohydrate intake and replacing it with fat. The body will become incredibly efficient with your main fuel supply being run almost completely on fat! Who doesn't want that?!
Your body produces ketones when you eat very few carbohydrates and a moderate amounts of protein. They are produced in the liver from fat. When your insulin levels are low (low carb) , your fat stores kick in and leads to weight loss.
BONUS! Ketones Supply Energy For Your Brain!
Not only is weight loss a cool benefit of ketosis, there are some amazing health benefits as well.
- Weight loss
- Blood sugar balance and enhanced insulin sensitivity
- Increased satiety, and decreased food cravings
- Improved energy levels, oxygen capacity, motor performance & athletic performance
- Migraine treatment
- Neuro-protective benefits in seizure disorders; ADHD; Alzheimer's disease, memory and cognitive function, Parkinson's Disease and Multiple Sclerosis
- Autism and improved behavior and social impacts
- Mood stabilization in bipolar disorder (type II)
- Stroke prevention; cardiovascular disease; metabolic syndrome
- management; improved cholesterol levels
- Inflammation management
- Endurance enhancement
Now, I have to tell you that the biggest benefit I have seen personally is a stable mood. My 3PM cravings are gone and I have more energy than ever!! I am not crashing! I am clear and ready to go!
I will talk more about this in Part 2 so stay tuned.
This short video also explains ketosis! Check it out!